Have hours of fun and learn how to make slime without Borax homemade Slime
Recently during school holidays my son and I were watching youtube together when we came across how to make slime. We went on to watch all different videos and types of slime. It was great fun so we decided to make some ourselves. We first tried making some with Borax but the smell was so strong. I only let him play with it for about five minutes before I said: “this needs to go in the bin I don’t feel like it is safe to play with.” I needed to learn how to make slime without borax.
(This post may contain affiliate links, if you choose to purchase after clicking on an affiliate link I get a small commission with no extra cost to you.)
Time for more research
After a bit more googling and more video watching on youtube, we found how to make slime without using borax. It was a great excuse to get out and get some exercise while getting the ingredients needed. We are lucky to live walking distance to the shops so off we went to buy the ingredients. First stop was the chemist to get the contact lens solution which is a saline solution (you need to make sure it has boric acid) as an ingredient otherwise the slime won’t work. Then we got some glue you can use clear school glue or PVA which is white. It doesn’t matter which one you use but you will need to think about what you want to add or how you want the slime to look when choosing the clear or white.
How to make slime
- 125ml Clear School Glue (you can also use PVA I think they are the same)
- 1 Teaspoon of Bicarb Soda
- 2 Teaspoons of Saline solution. (make sure it has boric acid in it)
- Food Colouring (i did use 2 drops of food colouring however it did mark the table so I would use with caution)
- Measuring spoons
- a mixing bowl Glass or plastic
- mixing spoon
- airtight container for storage
- Pour the glue into the mixing bowl, add any extras now like glitter or food colouring and stir
- Add the bicarb soda, Stir until smooth
- Add the contact solution, slowly stir and watch the mixture harden and go stringy. It will get to a point where you need to use your hands to finish it off. This bit is also a great science lesson with the way it goes it’s pretty cool
- If the slime is too slimy add a little extra contact lens solution as needed 1/2 teaspoon should fix it
- Time to play with the new slime
We had so much fun making slime we have made it a few times. The first time we made it my son spent the next four hours playing with it. He was hiding different things in it like Grocery gang toys, plastic bug’s and doing all sorts of fun things.
These are the first two lots we made.
We found this really easy to make, had so much fun. I even got into it and lost track of time. Play is really important, not just for kids but also adults too and when we can find something to do with our children where we both lose track of the time it becomes quality time spent playing.
I hope you find it just as easy to make and have fun while learning how to make slime without borax. I would love to hear about your slime making fun too